Tuesday 10 December 2013

For you

A few weeks ago I received a phone call from Laura telling me that one of our friends was seriously ill and didn't have long to live.

I have spent the past three weeks thinking and praying for my friend daily.

Hoping that the doctors had got it wrong.

Praying that he would pull through and the cancer would disappear.

But that didn't happen. My hopes and prayers for a miracle ended on Friday 6th December.

Its still so hard to get my head around this horrible tragedy. Everything I think and say seems like a cliché, but I promise its not.

There is absolutely no doubt about it, Luke was a top banana.

He was one of the funniest guys around, a sarcastic comment never far from his lips.

Is it 13 years I've known him....or maybe more...I'm not sure, but my life is intertwined with so many memories of Luke, too many to even think about really. Its overwhelming.

Luke gave great hugs, he was always one of the taller boys at school, and I particularly liked getting a hug from Luke and snuggling under his armpit.

I've shared many crazy drunken nights out with Luke...I just wish I had a slightly clearer memory of them...some of them are kind of hazy...But I reckon Luke would probably say the same!

However, I do remember his never-ending kindness,  he would always be the one to get me some water if I was a little too drunk, or lend one of the girls his coat if we were freezing our bums off in the queue.

I think what I admired most about Luke was the way he felt so comfortable in his own skin. He never conformed, never cared about what people thought or  worried about trying to fit in, he was just Luke. And I loved that about him.

I'm sat here listening to a mix tape (well, CD) that I made and sent for Luke last week...

Music is such a powerful memory grabber isn't it?

It rips you from your computer and suddenly you're sitting in the Trinity common room in 2003... change track... and you're at an infamous Richards' house party... change track... and we're jumping around like maniacs in a club in Manchester....

I know I'm probably not making much sense.My head is just all over the place trying to make sense of it all. But I guess maybe it will never make sense. I know I'm not making sense as I have just said sense about 100 times in one paragraph. I just cant believe that I'm not going to see Luke's mad, beautiful, cheeky smile again.

xxx
Trinity reunion 5years ago. Crazy times.
My fav photo of Luke and I.





No comments:

Post a Comment