Wednesday 4 September 2013

Time to change travel insurance

I believe today is Wednesday, which means tomorrow is Thursday, and I have to get up early and go to work.

Boo.

But I also believe that the day after tomorrow is Friday, and the day after that is Saturday, and two days after that I'm off on my holibobs.

Yay.

Get me with my positive thinking.

I'm still having somewhat of a creative painting block, so in order to keep my mind and hands occupied, I spent this afternoon making cards.

Not a deck of cards.

Making those would be kind of difficult.

I mean greeting cards. Obviously.

Don't know why I felt the need to explain that.

Anyway, it kept me out of trouble for a few hours.

I also spent some time looking for travel insurance. For those of you not on twitter, let me fill you in on a shocking story...

Last night I was quoted £14 for a travel insurance policy. However after filling in the medical details, stating I was on prescribed medication for depression, I was then quoted £716.60.

Ridiculous.

Outrageous.

They are basically saying they won't insure me because I have depression. Which frankly is just insulting.

And so I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to find an insurance company that doesn't ask you these questions:

  • Have you ever had a compulsory admission to hospital for depression?

  • How many hospital admissions have you had for THIS condition in the last 2 years?

  • Have you currently been advised to take any medication for this illness?

  • Have you been referred to or treated by a psychiatrist for depression?

  • Has depression ever caused you to cancel or cut short a planned trip?
These questions are highly personal, patronising and demoralising.

And then I get told...

"The responses you have given increase the likelihood of a claim."

Which then results in the prices getting hiked up by about £50, and that still seems unreasonable to me.

Its time to change these shoddy insurance companies.

They need to wise up to the fact that 1 in 4 people experience mental illnesses.
And it shouldn't stop people from getting the same price travel insurance.

OK.

Rant over.

xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment