Tuesday 23 April 2013

Time vs.Moments


Time, how do we measure it?

In minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years.

Through relationships, marriages, births and deaths.

Career choices, house moves, and holidays.

“This was the year that happened.”

“I want to forget last week.”

“By the time I’m 30, I want to be married and have a child.”

These are all phrases that I’ve heard throughout the years. From friends, family or acquaintance’s (or just overhearing conversations, because I’m a nosey parker…)

Now I’m not saying there is anything particularly wrong with this way of thinking, I’m just questioning the method. It feels as if there is a giant clock hanging over us, that we all have to keep checking.

Throughout the past two and a half years I have gone through periods of focusing on the measurement of time in my own life. But it never made me feel any better. In fact it made me utterly miserable and even more depressed.

By trying to measure up my own time frame to other peoples, I would always end up in the darkness.

Therefore, as you can imagine, I try my best not to think about that anymore. Instead, I concentrate my mind on moments.

Moments of laughter.

Moments of peace.

Moments of light.

Moments of love.

By being mindful of these moments, and trying to live in the moment, (I really want to think of a different word now, but I can’t) gives me hope for the future.

And so, dear reader, I challenge you to do the same.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment