Thursday 26 April 2012

what the water gave me



'What the water gave me' Frida Kahlo



Frida Kahlo is one of my favourite artists. She was an inspirational woman, and battled the most horrific physical injuries, as well as struggling with personal angst and depression. I've always been drawn to her work as she uses such vibrant colours and interesting symbolism.

However, this isn't an art history lesson, and I'm not going to witter on much longer.

I've picked out this painting today because I can recognise the confusion and paranoia that is stimulating her subconscious. Sometimes, its only when I lie in the bath that I can recognise particular images that come forward in my mind. All day they might have been running past the window of my eyes, and I can't quite pinpoint what they are. But in a semi state of relaxation, somewhere on the way to sleep, these pictures become clearer. Later, in the middle of the night, they can come back again in my dreams and nightmares, whereas others fade away for a while...

My mind is so full of pictures and colour it can get ridiculously overwhelmed and crowded. Finding space and time to reshuffle things and meditate on the most poignant images is time well spent. And I'm realising now its a necessity.

xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment