Thursday 12 January 2012

a little slice of hope

Hold the front page, Susie has some good news.....

An appointment with the big cheese consultant psychiatrist today...felt very nervous...BUT... I was listened to, understood, sympathised with, and taken seriously. HURRAH!

He also gave me some practical advice as to what steps I should try and be taking in the next few months. And he encouraged me in the progress I have already made.

What a relief.

Enjoyed a glass of wine with my tea in celebration....(honestly, the Piggott household really knows how to party hard....hehehe...)

However, despite my moment of euphoria, it still seems a little bit scary that I've had to really fight for this appointment. I keep thinking whats happening to the other patients in my area? How are they coping? I feel lucky that I'm now in a place where I want to get better, and have the strength to battle for the treatment I deserve, others won't be so lucky.  The lack of continuity of my care has been ridiculous, I dread to think how others are suffering too. Whenever I ask about support groups, or other similar stuff, the answer is always, "No, not any more, due to budget cuts..." Yet if 1 in 4 people suffer from mental health issues, how can these budget cuts be justified???

xxx

2 comments:

  1. I'm also wondering how the Government is justifying spending £33 billion on a high speed rail link that not everyone WANTS, when there are so many NHS cuts and budget issues that there are waiting lists of up to a YEAR for mental illness referrals.

    Wishing you all the best :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know its completley crazy!! this g'ment has got its priorities all muddled up xxx

    ReplyDelete