Tuesday 11 October 2011

challenging to try something different

Feeling pretty darned stuffed right now.

I need my expandable trousers!

I guess its good that I have definitely got my appetite back nowadays. Although I'm probably still not eating the most healthy food.

Ah well!

Speaking of trousers, I have set myself a clothing challenge over the last few weeks. I don't always stick to it, but I'm really trying to wear a different item of clothing each day. Whether its a top, or maybe jewellery, or even shoes. It sounds a bit simple and silly, but its a desperate attempt to tear myself away from my beloved grey hoody.

That grey hoody has been worn to death. I have certainly got my moneys worth. Its comfy, and the world just doesn't seem as scary when I wear it, (maybe I should write to GAP and thank them, that's some magic they have woven into their fabrics...)

But despite that, I know I look like death in it, and I have a wardrobe stuffed full of lovely stuff, that I should try and maximise. I actually went through it the other day and got quite excited about my winter woollies. I said to my Mum, "I don't remember wearing any of these last year." To which she replied, "That's because you lived in your flippin hoody and trackie bottoms!" Hmm. Yes. Well. I can't argue with that. The lady does speak some truth.

And despite the fact it takes monumental effort, I do feel a little brighter once I have finally decided on wearing something other than the grey hoody. It doesn't always work, but just the process is a distraction. Just thinking about the possibility of changing it makes it more likely to happen.

My counsellor said that last week actually. Sounds quite an obvious statement but I had never really thought about it. She was encouraging me and said, even when I just think about doing something (like going out of the house, meeting someone new, trying a yoga class, or reinventing myself as a burlesque dancer....ha just kidding...) I am much more likely to do it, than if I hadn't thought about it.

Does that make sense?

Or is it a case of no shit Sherlock?

Maybe it is, and perhaps it is obvious, but I find it quite helpful.

And I like helpful.

xx

1 comment: