Thursday 17 March 2011

Brother rat

Just power walked (well my attempt at power walking, its probably most people's normal pace) and I must admit I'm a little tired... I've just volunteered to make dinner but feel I need to regain some strength and sit on my arse for a while....Big yawn..huge yawn...whoever knew such a mini person could have such gigantic yawns?! They seem to take over my whole body.....ooohhhh yawn...I seriously can't stop now...must change subject....

hmmmm....

Ooooo yeah I remember....I saw a dead rat out on my travels today.... and it reminded me of 2 hilarious stories. Well when I say hilarious, you may have to bare with me, as they might be those 'you had to be there' kind of moments....

Now I know what you must be thinking...how does a dead rat make you laugh? And I promise I haven't got some sick kind of sense of humour (well at least I don't think I have...) But what I do know, is in a world that really doesn't seem very funny, you have to take these little bits of hilarity, grab them with both hands and put them in your pocket for a day when you think laughter is impossible...

So, back to the rat. That was dead. On the road. A very large dead rat, I might add, with a very fat body and scarily long tail....

But the first thing that caught me off guard was that it looked suspiciously like a rat that I have met on previous occasion. Now I'm not a rodent expert, but I saw the look in its beady little eye, and I thought. Yes, we have met before....The fact that it was in New York, is perhaps a slight technical detail...

It was 2 and a half years ago....A hot August afternoon, I was strolling through Central Park, taking in the beautiful scenery. It was so quiet. So leafy. So green. So sunny. I couldn't believe no-one else seemed to be around. I thought I must have found a secret bit of the park, that was all mine....

How wrong I was...Just as I was beginning to feel at peace with the universe a giant rat jumped out of the bushes! I have never screamed so loud. I thought it was going to bite my ankles off. He looked me eye, and I realised I had stumbled onto his turf....Obviously this was why there were no other people around! It was the home of the rat mafia...and I didn't want to wait around to see what else could happen. So I scarpered... Phew close call.

And now this sneaky giant mafia type rat must have somehow followed me back to England and got himself run over. Its a funny old world....thats karma for you....ha!

But saying all that, the rat may win eventually.... As I am lead into thinking about my second story...

When I was in Wales last month I found a rather old encyclopedia of animals at the hotel. It became a great source of amusement, as the pictures and facts all seemed to be a rather strange combination. I also like to think about what people would choose if they had to be an animal. And when I meet people for the first time I always think about what animal they look like....(For the record... I would be an Orangutan, although I hope I don't look like one...!)

Anyway I'm getting off the point (not that I have one!) There was a particular essay that caught my eye.....And this was the title....

Don't underrate brother rat

Yes! What a title! What an essay (actually the title was the most interesting bit!) Oh it did tickle me. And now I'm realising that I should probably learn from it...I shouldn't underrate brother rat because you never know when he might pounce again!

xxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment